Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, March 4, 2013

A Sunday morning bagel

Sunday Morning turned out to be a bagel making kind of morning. In my quest for that simpler life I have done this once before and they tuned out pretty good, so I decided to give it another go .... and I have to say I did good again. I have a love for Montreal style bagels , if you've never had one you're missing out .....  A Montreal Bagel is a thinner, crispy outside with a slight sweetness, covered in sesame seeds (my favorite) or poppy seeds. I find with bagels bought at Panera, Mr. Bagel any of those, have too much inside they are too doughy and I end up tearing out some for the bagel guts (for lack of a better description).

I found a great recipe on Pintrest (I am so hooked on that site) and off I went. They are pretty easy to make , I think the hardest part is waiting for them to be done so I can eat one. After you mix the dough and kneed it for 10 minutes you have to let it sit under a bowl for another 10 minutes. Next its time to roll the bagels, I had Ryan help me (my boyfriends son), he's 14 and said it reminded him of when his was little and would play with Playdough. So we rolled them out into that shape, not round like a bagel you see here but that oblong shape a Montreal bagel has. Now we wait... this time for 30 minutes. Next step is to boil the bagels in honey water for about 45 seconds each side. After you sprinkle on a topping, today I left a few plain, a few had sesame seeds and thanks to gift from my friend Tracy , I had a couple that  I also call my favorite an "everything" bagel. Off to the oven they go... about 8 to 10 minutes each side and they are done.

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/169529/montreal-bagel

Nothing beats that smell , that tempting smell, that I can't wait to smother one in cream cheese and gobble it up, and so I did. We all enjoyed a warm crispy bagel on this not too cold Maine morning. And of course  this was a perfect excuse to use the few new Pyrex plates I had found at the Goodwill a few days ago.
I've stumbled on a plate here and there, restaurant ware , I love the weight of them. My recent find is this pretty teal color , I also have a few in burgundy and I have also found a solid white.

And so the day went on,  a ride to a flea market in Thopsom, a quick peak at the Goodwill shop and off to Freeport for a walk around LL Beans.
   
          Another great day in Maine


No comments:

Post a Comment